Monday, July 18, 2011

Middle aged Mario

I should probably acknowledge the fact that my oldest child turned 7. It's not a particularly hard thing to do. It doesn't make me feel older, my body is already doing a fine job of that. The reason I haven't? Too busy keeping up with him. Every day he does something and I turn to Ben and say I need to blog that. Then by the end of the day I have either forgotten it or have crashed on the couch with a big cup of ice cream. Yeah don't ask how that healthy eating/weight loss is going. We don't talk about it.

Isaac asked for a Super Mario cake this year. What he got was an aged version. I was trying to stay true to the time line. I figure Mario was maybe 35 when the game first came out. Now he is a nice 65, hence the Golden Years/Retired Mario that I made. Isaac took one look at the cake and goes.... that does not look like the picture. True it doesn't but he didn't take into account that it was 94 degree's outside while I was making it and the frosting was not cooperating. It is really hard to keep the air conditioning going strong when you have to open doors for your dog all the time.

What really matters is that it tasted good.

I went to a yard sale earlier in the year and found children's golf clubs and a golf bag for pretty cheap. I was so excited to give Isaac these for his birthday. He has since marched around our yard setting up holes. After about 2 days he came inside and said "few, I did it!" "What did you do Isaac?" "I finished my 18 hole course, it took me two days but I got a couple birdies, and one hole in one!" Mom was just excited that it kept his attention for that long! Micah gave Issac a slip in slide called Surf Rider. Everytime I ask them if they want to play with the slip and slide I am immediately corrected. "MOM it is a SURF RIDER!" I remember them working a lot better than this one. It doesn't really matter because by the end they have both migrated to the big mud puddle in our back yard.


 Mario ended up looking like my friend Tara's dad. I can say that because she totally agrees with me.

 I think he might be giving himself a big birthday hug. That or he is restraining himself.
 One more time with FEELING people. I find the hands on my hips has become a natural pose.
And of course Isaac had to do one of his many "classic" poses. I am reminded of myself who always had to pose for pictures. It's a Davis thing. If you are a Davis you will know what I mean.

1 comment:

Etz said...

Yes, I totally understand the posing thing.